[Tango-L] Research project: Correlation between cultural identity and tango

Myk Dowling politas at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 22:05:33 EST 2010

NANCY wrote:
> Your link leads to an Adult Content Warning and requires a
> registration and password.  Why not just send your opinion directly to
> the list?
>
> Nancy
>
> --- On *Sun, 2/28/10, Myk Dowling /<politas at gmail.com>/* wrote:
>
>     Well, the first results from this survey are now out:
>     http://home.exetel.com.au/bodypaint/tangoresearch.html
>
>     And here's my thoughts on the results so far:
>     http://politas.livejournal.com/197788.html

Ah, yes. I forgot about Livejournal's silly adult rating system. I
occasionally discuss adult topics on my journal, so the whole thing
requires that click-through. You shouldn't need a username/password,
though.  Anyway, here's the meat of the post:

There is some interesting points in this data. First off, we see that
participants from Argentina are only the fourth most numerous, after the
USA, Japan and Australia. I would expect that this is mostly due to the
methods used to advertise the study and the fact that it was an Internet
survey, so the distribution is more affected by relative usage of the
Internet between countries than numbers of actual tango dancers. It is
interesting to see some countries that are quite low on the
distribution. The UK has Internet usage as high as Australia if not
higher, yet had five times less participants than Australia. So it would
seem that tango is far less popular in the UK than Australia.

The gender split is entirely unsurprising, and reflects my anecdotal
experience of relative numbers.

The age graph is interesting. I wouldn't have expected the 31-40 segment
to be quite so high, which I consider a good sign.

The occupation graph particularly caught my attention, mostly because
there seems to be a fairly definite divide between artistic/social
occupations versus mathematical/technical ones. Information Technology
is an outlier in that split, but there are two confounding factors
there. First, and I suspect most important, any Internet survey
advertised largely through email lists and forums is going to get more
IT-focussed people. IT people are just more likely to be using such
communication methods. Secondly, IT is a surprisingly diverse field
which includes both creative and mechanistic specialities, so you get a
lot of creative people in IT. In any case, the former factor is likely
to be of much greater impact.

Also interesting is how few participants chose the "looking for a
partner/lover/friends" options, compared to the "love of
tango/dancing/music" options, but again, that may be selection bias.
People who do tango only to meet someone new are less likely to be using
Internet discussion media focussed on discussing tango and helping each
other improve.

Unfortunately, the total numbers of participants is pretty low. I'd like
to see more detailed analysis of the data, comparing the results of
different questions. The second page of "responses to tango-related
words" seems entirely purposeless and random. Perhaps they can tease out
some significant results if they cross-analyse that stuff with the
grouping questions, but I doubt there's much to be gained there. If they
get some really significant differences it could be interesting, but I
expect it'll be fairly uniform across groups.