[Tango-L] Ojo! Long Post Re: Type-A Tango Salon or Show ?

barbara barbara at tangobar-productions.com
Sun Dec 26 18:26:50 EST 2010

Where the heck to begin. The posts of Charles and Gordon reflect most
accurately the tango experience of this old lady, which some of you know
began in 1986, first trip of many to BsAs in 1987, helping to develop
the SF tango community from 1986 through the '90s. Al and i now live in
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, where we have been teaching and promoting
tango, with all attendant  joys and frustrations, since 2004. These are
some observations from the last 25 years:

What has been labeled "milonguero" tango, I prefer ("apilado" or
"full-frontal"), was indeed being danced in 1986, in the center of the
city in crowded dance halls such as Regin (now El Beso) and Salon
Argentina, but was not taught by anyone, as far as I know, before Susana
Miller started the franchise in 1994.

For starters, please don't take the following as a rejection of any or
all forms of close-embrace tango; I mean to defend Salon tango, not to
denigrate any other social style, through clarifying what I know of
tango history.

The social style of the majority of barrios outside of the center but
within city limits was what has been referred to on this list as Salon.
By this I don't mean "open", but close and flexible. These barrios
include but are not confined to Villa Urquiza, Mataderos, etc.; there
were some differences between barrios. Variations of this style were
taught by teachers who were considered milongueros such as Fino Ribera,
Eduardo & Gloria, Todaro, Roberto Grassi, Raul Bravo, Lampazo, Pupi
Castello et al. AND as well as teaching social moves some of them taught
material only suitable for performance. Show or exhibition tango is not,
and never was, considered the same as Salon style, but is obviously is
an outgrowth of it. The idea that milongueros don't do exhibitions is
naively mistaken; it is traditional to include an exhibition in a
milonga at around 3 am, and competitions have been fiercely fought since
the 19th century. What's more, in the '80s and still, some  of those
teaching were stage performers as well as social dancers, e.g. Eduardo
and Gloria. Some were teachers and performers only and didn't go to the
milongas (the Dinzels), and Copes, for example, taught performance tango
complete with choreography What is important is that there was ALWAYS a
distinction made by conscientious maestros between social tango suitable
for a milonga as opposed to exhibition tango. We were made very clear
about this by Danel and Maria Bastone, who had studied with Todaro in
those years, as well as by Orlando Paiva.  Everything taught was related
to line of dance and floorcraft. No doubt there were and are plenty of
unenlightened or unscrupulous teachers who don't explain and teach this
difference, but that is not inherent in or confined to Salon style.
Also, Salon style tango NEVER included non-tango stage or ballroom-dance
moves such as lifts, drops, twirls, etc. Sorry, no pole-dancing, folks.

In terms of teaching  it has been our experience, as well as our regret,
that students, after a good dose of the basics (and whether or not they
are ready, which they aren't), Really Want to learn more dramatic moves,
and an instructor can talk himself blue in the face without shaking
their desire to do ganchos,  carpas, even, to  my dismay, volcadas.
Without Exception this has been our teaching experience, and the choice
is usually between teaching some additional material while constantly
expanding on basic technique or seeing eager students quit tango. Also,
it may be that studying a wider range of techniques can be valuable in
revisiting more basic ones which appear so much easier but are actually
infinitely more challenging. To keep dancing and continue learning
individually with videos and/or pure observation requires
out-of-the-ordinary talent, body awareness and dedication. (I've been
trying this with classical guitar and it's unfortunately not working).

A woman could maybe continue on her own (and several on this List have)
by moving to BsAs and dancing nightly with carefully chosen partners,
if  she knows how to choose them and they will dance with her. That
wouldn't work so well for a leader . . .

So, Mario, instead of ranting against instructors for teaching more than
walking, ochos, and simple turns, in close-embrace only, pride yourself
on being one of the Exceptions we have not yet encountered. Come to
Puerto Vallarta and show us  :-)

Bottom line, we would love any advice on how to convince students that
they should stick to improving their basics for however many years it
takes instead of learning "new" material . . . .

As for whether Salon style can or should be danced in crowded milongas:
it requires your control of space on the pista and navigation while
concentrating on  the music and the partner in your arms. It depends on
you, but also on the space and shape of the floor, the quality and
etiquette of other dancers, the music and mood of the evening. But so
does every night at any milonga in the world, whatever style you prefer.
Prospero 2011 to all,
Barbara