[Tango-L] Type-A Tango Salon or Show ?

Jack Dylan jackdylan007 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 26 01:55:38 EST 2010

> From: Charles Roques <c.roques at mchsi.com>
>Susanna MIller is given far too much credit for something she didn't do.
>People were dancing that way long before she supposedly "popularized" it.>

Personally, I think Susana Miller deserves all the credit she receives.

Of course, she didn't invent milonguero style but, as far as I know, she
was the first to teach it. At that time the milongueros didn't teach and
Gustavo Naveira has written that when he first started dancing, "the
milongueros wouldn't share their secrets."

Susana Miller made milonguero style accessible to a new generation
of dancers who were simply unable [or unwilling] to spend the amount
of time on the dancefloor that the original milongueros did. Without her,
and those who came afterwards, we might all be stuck with salon style.

And if you think that you can learn salon style and then make an easy
transistion to milonguero style, I know from personal experience that it's
just not that easy. The techniques [and musicality] of milonguero style
are very different to salon. Just my opinion. :-)

Jack