[Tango-L] teachers aren't so important

Gordon Erlebacher gerlebacher at fsu.edu
Thu Dec 9 16:04:01 EST 2010

It depends what you are after. Would you recommend no teachers? No. Would you recommend only teachers and no dancing? No. One gets information from all sections of the tango universe. However, good dancing follows from good technique, and to a large degree, in my experience, feeling derives from technique as well. It is quite unlikely that a man will get comprehensive technical information from ladies at the milongas. First, teaching is often discouraged, and second, I know how difficult it is for me to appreciate subtle technical details even when one-on-one with a top-caliber teacher for an extended period.

    Gordon