[Tango-L] Socio-ethical behavior and protocol

Ruben Malan rubenmalan at comcast.net
Thu Aug 19 16:32:14 EDT 2010

Sergio wrote:

To think that anyone, on this tango-list, that has been a member for
sometime and has been dancing tango for a certain period, in possession
more or less of an average intelligence could believe that in a metropolitan
area like Buenos Aires with a population of about 12 million, there are only
one type of milongas is even more ridiculous.

We have already discussed the subject in detail, there are traditional
milongas like the ones I described, there are milongas for different tango
styles, there are milongas that have travel such distance from the
traditional codes that do not dare to use the name
"milonga" to describe themselves, they are called "Practicas".

There are no tandas, or cortinas.

There is everything in between. There are "gay" milongas, Tango Queer, La
Marshal, milongas where everyone dresses like in the 1920s. and milongas
where everyone is topless.

Milongas with faithful husbands and milongas for unfaithful people, and
everything in between...so big deal!!!

I would think that perhaps, a subject more interesting to discuss would be :
The loss of the milonga rituals, and its causes"

Well said Sergio.

I agree 150% with you.

Ruben Malan