[Tango-L] Socio-ethical behavior and protocol

Lois Donnay donnay at donnay.net
Thu Aug 19 08:39:27 EDT 2010

It should also be noted that some young tango dancers in Buenos Aires tell
me that they also do not like the protocol that does not allow them to sit
with their friends. Part of the reason that they prefer the practicas like
Villa Malcom, as well as the queer milongas, etc, is that they can sit with
each other, or sit where they would like.

I tend to agree with them - I hate the idea of sitting away from my male
friends at a milonga. When I go to a milonga with a male friend, I just get
him to dance with another woman first. Then other men start to ask me, with
his permission. We probably get away with it because we do not look at all
like portenos. The challenge is getting the organizer to seat us in an area
that is not defined as for either women, men or couples.  Some milongas are
more traditional, and more difficult, and some are not so traditional.  It's
nice to have choices.

Loisa Donnay
Minneapolis