[Tango-L] Music preferences/Social-ethical behaviours

johnofbristol@tiscali.co.uk johnofbristol at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Aug 9 09:08:29 EDT 2010

Both these threads are interesting, illustrating as they do the
differences between Argentine and European (and possibly US) customs.
Here it would be considered rude to ignore your partner's friends, or
your friend's partner. It may be something to do with the ballroom
tradition that everyone present must do their bit to ensure that the
event is a success: men must not allow women to be wallflowers, etc.
>From what I have read, the Argentines have no such scruples.

Nobody in Europe seems to be worried about dancing to a vocalist's sad
song. Irving Berlin wrote "When I Lost You" when his wife died in 1912
and people have been happily waltzing to the heartfelt words ever
since. At the Tangomarkkinat this year, possibly the most miserable
tango of all time was launched:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=WiRYhUNptIg&playnext=1&videos=VTMH8DbncU0

"Now the door of my miserable cell slams shut behind me, even though
only yesterday tender moments were part of my life. When my days were
condemned to this miserable prison, these dreams were sentenced to
suffering in eternal shackles. Now I will sleep and wake in floods of
tears. I just count the bricks and wonder what our wedding would have
been like. Cake, champagne, dancing and kisses? Now I will taste only
bread and water . . . "

I won't go on as I don't want to ruin your entire day. That particular
Youtube clip was from a concert, but at this was a new tango it got
quite a lot of exposure (nearly all live) at the public dances, and
people happily danced and flirted all through it.

None of this is intended as a criticism of the Argentines or of
Argentinophiles. It is just that it is interesting to note the
differences between the two cultures; and to wonder if northerners will
ever truly get Argentine tango.

As for the "sniffing and whiny" singers - I suspect this is a
reference the thin nasal tones of some old-time Argentine singers,
which a lot of people (including me) don't like. I don't like it when
the French do it either. A full resonant rounded voice is much more to
my liking, and added emotion only improves it. I once saw Saija Varjus
flee the stage in tears after treating the audience to a heartfelt
version of "I'm a Fool to Want You".

John Ward
Bristol, UK