[Tango-L] differing views of tango evolution

Jack Dylan jackdylan007 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 28 05:19:35 EDT 2010

I agree that there's no problems with porteño nuevoists; I danced for
weeks in BsAs without seeing any nuevo. But, IMO, that's because
they have their own places to go to satsfy their needs. And that's my
whole point; separate Nuevo and Traditional Tango and the problems
end.

All that remains if for nuevo instructors, outside of Argentina, to educate
their students that they don't dance nuevo in traditional BsAs milongas.
What they do in their own countries is up up them but I would hope that
they'll follow the lead of BsAs. Btw, I learned nuevo in BsA from Gustavo
Rosas and Gisele Natoli and they definitely told us not to dance what
they taught us in the milongas. I also saw them many times at Canning -
dancing very nice traditional tango :-)

I think one problem is that, while porteño nuevoists can also dance
traditonal tango and are able to enjoy the popular, famous milongas of
BsAs, foreign nuevoists can only dance nuevo. But that's their problem.

Jack