[Tango-L] Milonga/Practica Review: A great night in Tango

Nussbaum, Martin mnussbau at law.nyc.gov
Wed Sep 23 14:02:27 EDT 2009

Milonga/Practica  Review:  Tuesday night at Cochabamba Milonga/Practica
with Gustavo Naveira was an incredible night, and  possibly a
game-changing event, for tango in NYC.  Due to the high number of
excellent dancers in the room, the energy and vibe were electrified.
There was a feeling of exploration and collaboration, not only from
Gustavo moving from couple to couple assisting with various topics, but
there was a large number of teachers in attendance, who were interested
to see how the "teachers' teacher" interacts with the students.  It was
amazing and instructive to watch some of my favorite local teachers,
such as Oliver Kolker y Silvina Valz, Andres Amarillo y Meredith Klein,
developing and trading ideas with the Maestro.  It is rare that you get
to watch the creative process of such talented artists at work, real
time.
Hopefully, If the goals stated by Gustavo for Cochabamba are met, and
Gustavo y Giselle, along with Federico and Ariadna Naveira, as well as
other invited artists, establish a continuing influence here, NYC-
already a major tango city - could become even more important as a
magnet for the continued exploration, evolution, and widespread
popularity of the tango. This will benefit everyone in the local
community, dancers, teachers, and commercial organizers alike.
Full Disclosure:  The undersigned has no financial interest in, or
connection to, either Cochabamba Productions, Travis Neel, any member of
the Naveira family, or Manhattan Ballroom.  But I do consider it a high
privilege to state that I am a student of Gustavo's.
-Martin Nussbaum