[Tango-L] How do you create a connection?

Trystan Spangler trystan.s at comcast.net
Tue Sep 8 20:31:54 EDT 2009

What ways do you know of improving the connection when dancing with
someone?

As a leader, I've noticed that changing the size and duration of my
steps forces us to really listen to each other. Also changing the
amount of waiting between individual steps can relax a beginning
follower. After a song with some 5 second steps and clear wait between
a pivot and a step, a woman who was learning ochos excitedly said "oh
I get it, I have to wait and listen!" That was a good day.

In another lesson before a milonga, a woman I was practicing with took
a big breath right as the music swelled and we did a side step. Wow.
Did you know some followers can lead a step just by when they exhale?

So what tricks have you discovered to create connection?

Trystan from Sacramento