[Tango-L] "Truth" in tango advertising

Vince Bagusauskas vytis at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 28 08:10:00 EDT 2009

Charles said:

>Saying that it is "classic tango,"

You changed it from "classical tango music" to "classical tango".  Hope that
was because you realize the music alone wont get the sort of atmosphere you
want.

>"milonguero tango" is no less specific

It will upset the tango salon dancers :-)  BTW, a 1990's coined term

>than calling it "alternative." It is clear what they all mean.

To you and me maybe, but to the vast majority of dancers who do not read
Tango-L, no it means nothing.  A bit of explanation of what is expected
without all the mythical reverence would go a long way in educating the
masses.

>and not expect to hear the same kind of music.

Dancers who like to do neuvo moves don't really care what music they dance
to.

>This has nothing to do with nuevo or traditional styles or the country in
>which they are danced.

I have to respectfully disagree.  If the majority of dancers in a city are
taught nuevo elements, they may have an expectation that it is OK to dance
such elements at any milonga.  What teacher will tell their students, sure
you can learn all these cool moves, but you wont be welcome at any regular
milonga that you care to attend in this city.  I bet none. Not the city I
initially learnt tango in.

Regards