[Tango-L] No place left to dance

Huck Kennedy tempehuck at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 19:36:26 EDT 2009

On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 4:34 PM, Chris, UK <tl2 at chrisjj.com> wrote:

> > As the organizer for the Denver & San Diego festivals, I can reassure
> > you that the concept of festivals for social dancing remains: "By
> > Dancers; for Dancers".
>
> Please, Tom, explain how your:
>
>  http://tango.org/2010sdfest
>  The 4th Annual San Diego Tango Festival will be a Southern California
>  treat for all tango dancers who love the social tango popular in the
>  milongas of Buenos Aires: close, subtle & romantic.
>
> squares with your:
>
>  Sat, 3:00 - 07:00, DJ TBA, "Alternative Music Milonga" $15
>
> and the likes of:
>
>   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS9sMTtozZI
>
> Or if the nuevo dancing at your festivals is any /less/ antithetic to
> BA-style social tango, please post a video to illustrate.

     You're right, Chris, it doesn't square; however, I for one am extremely
grateful that Tom puts on those late afternoon alternative milongas--it
gives some of us the opportunity to take a nice nap up in the hotel room
while the cargo-pants crowd gets all that alternative music and those wild
fantasia moves out of their systems instead of bugging the night dj to play
that nonsense later when we're dancing serious social tango to real tango
music in a milonga that actually does justice to Tom's description that you
quoted above.

Huck