[Tango-L] Navigation abuse

Shahrukh Merchant shahrukh at shahrukhmerchant.com
Sat Oct 17 13:25:52 EDT 2009

Ecsedy ?ron <aron at milonga.hu> said:

> Theeere we go then. I had that distinct impression that this might be
> the problem.

[Thesis on personal space deleted.]

Sorry, Aron, I think you need to consider the fact that you're the one
not getting it (and perhaps therefore unconsciously practising this
behaviour too?). The phenomenon is real, has absolutely nothing to do
with personal space, and everything to do with inconsiderate navigation
and their practitioners.

*Technical* navigation skill (the ability to move around without hitting
anyone) is one thing and *social* navigation skill (the ability to
navigate without being an annoyance to other people or causing them to
take defensive action) is another thing (though it requires at least
some of the first, or at least the good sense to limit what you do to
your navigation skills).

The analogy is the ice-hockey-playing "studs" who cruise around the rink
during family skating time and whiz inches past slower skaters. They
have the technical skills necessary to be sure of not hitting anyone,
but not the social skills or the consideration to share the space for
everyone's mutual enjoyment.

> If you can overcome your fear of couples speeding and trusting them to
> avoid you, you'll feel absolutely comfortable.
> Obviously, you
> need to train yourself to be less jumpy.

An excellent summary of what I'm referring to: Within this attitude lies
the root of the problem. Further explanations not necessary for those
who understand that. Further explanations futile for those who don't ...

Shahrukh