[Tango-L] Times signature in tango

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 9 14:48:41 EDT 2009

Initially,tango was written like the milonga in 2x4. This lasted till approximately   1915.

El Porteñito - El esquinazo - are examples of early tangos written in 2x4. They are upbeat, happy, fast.

Tango Music has several periods 1895 -1917 is known as "La guardia vieja", it is a period of Tango-Milongas  .  Those early tangos were close to their ancestor : The Milonga.

 Musicians of that period are Juan Maglio, Vicente Greco, Roberto Firpo, Eduardo Arolas, Julio de Caro.

1917-1924 end of La guardia Vieja till El Tango Cancion.

The notation changed to 4x8 . Tangos become calmer,slower and more expresive.

This change in notation caused the flute and guitar to be displaced from the orchestras.

Tangos are still written in 4x8.

Jorge Luis Borges said " la música de tango está tan conectada con el mundo rioplatense que cuando un compositor, de cualquier otra parte del mundo, pretende componer un tango «descubre, no sin estupor, que ha urdido algo que nuestros oídos no reconocen, que nuestra memoria no hospeda y que nuestro cuerpo rechaza».
Esa característica fuertemente local del tango, imbricada con el ritmo y la musicalidad del lenguaje rioplatense, ha sido reiteradamente señalada.

Jorge Luis Borges said " Tango music is so connected to the Rio de la Plata world,that when a composer, from any other place in the world, attempts to compose a tango, discovers with astonishment, that he has created something that our ears do not recognize, that our memory does not find,and that our body rejects.

This trongly local characteristic of tango music, associated to the rhythm and to the language musicality of that area has been mentioned many times.

Sergio