[Tango-L] Preserving the character of the dance

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 8 11:41:00 EDT 2009

Dear Jan you say "It is a beautiful tango "

I did not express an opinion in reference to the beauty of the dance, this is a matter of personal taste.  I did like it as well. I think that everybody should dance any way they like to do it, I just tried to clarify to Jack that the confusion comes from the use of the word "Milonga" in reference to this type of dance, but if anybody wish to use it, this is fine with me as well.

IMO (I am sure others may disagree) that particular form of dancing did not preserve the "character" of the dance, it looks totally foreign to me, something totally disconnected from its Argentine roots.  The moves are those of tango but neither the music or the dance itself gives the feeling orlooks like A. T. of any style that I know.(Trina points that some dancers do dance preserving the tango character and I agree, some of them do.

Below you will see Chicho and Fabian dancing nuevo tango both to traditional and alternative music but preserving the "Character" of the dance.

The first time around,(early 20th century) Tango was changed in England to make it more like the other ballroom dances: a steady beat was created for the music, the choreography was changed so that both members of the couple performed the same foot work, one the mirror of the other, the embrace was reshaped to adopt a V figure instead of the original A shape, the partners do not look to each other, jerking movements of the head  and very long steps were added,the dance steps were changed to a sequence of Slow, slow, quick, quick, slow with possible variations of this sequence.

A new dance was created: The International Tango, which is beautiful as well but that does not have the original Argentine Character oor feeling.  The American (ballroom) and Finish tangos are variations of the International Tango; they are beautiful dances but of a different character as well.

I do not have any objection to the creation of other dances based in A.T., I just wanted to give my opinion in reference to Jack's question : "What is this? I am confused, is this tango?

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS9sMTtozZI  Portland Milonga

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfeT8esFMUk Practica x exhibition to traditional tango music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNdezMXlZgM  Chicho at Practica X exhibition to non traditional tango music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GfTum67AQE Fabian Salas exhibition to traditional tango music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL16h0rMmYU&feature=related

Fabian Salas exhibition to non traditional tango music

Respectfully, Sergio