[Tango-L] Aron's answers

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 4 22:04:41 EDT 2009

Ecsedy you say "Because the dance is, erroneously, called Tango Argentino outside LatinAmerica, "

1 - *** No error there (IMO) Tango Argentino is different from the other styles that were created outside of Argentina (Uruguay) (Ballroom tango,
(A variation of International tango), International (European) Tango and Finish Tango (a variation of International Tango as well). So it is necessary to say Argentine Tango to know what we are talking about. For most people to say Tango is enough, as we know that Tango is Argentine Tango.

2 - *** What is danced outside of Argentina as "Argentine Tango" reflects the "real A. Tango" as taught abroad by both Argentines and foreign instructors.
A tango style that is preserved by the travelers to Argentina as well.

Ecsedy you also say "As I've said: I know what I'm saying, but tango, especially the tango weare talking about here on a list filled with dancers not living inBuenos Aires, is a phenomenon that is driven by people outsideArgentina."

*** Not true, everything that is happening in tango abroad is more or less a reflection of what is happening in Argentina, driven by the many visitors to all sort of workshops in B.A. and by the Itinerant or local Argentine instructors.

Even the most popular styles of A.T. are due to the fact that Argentine Instructors travel teaching those particular styles. Tete, Susana Miller, Cacho Dante: Milonguero Style, Chicho, Gustavo, Fabian and many others: Nuevo Tango, all the others: Traditional Argentine tango. As you also say,"the teachers who visit us for our euros, dollars andyens are those which define tango today "

 *** yes no doubt but they reflect  some of the different styles that are danced in B.A.

You proceed "Tango itself was made by a mixture of ethnicities,cultures within Argentina, but became mainstream by massive externalinfluence in the past and then revived and kept alive by massiveexternal influence."

*** Tango was born in Argentina, taken to Europe and the USA by Argentines that taught what was being danced in B.A.

***Tango was popular in Argentina at the same time as ballroom dancing was popular in the USA. There were as many big Orquestas tipicas as big band in the USA.  Then in the 60s. and 70s. both modalities of dancing became less popular to revive in the 80s.

 The fact that Tango as well as ballroom dancing became popular as well in Europe is a plus but I doubt that Tango, Swing, rumba, etc, are kept alive only due to external influences. As Deidre Black explained very well tango reflects our way of living as well as jazz reflects the North American culture.

You also say "BsAs is a museum of tango"

Nothing more apart from the truth, B.A. likes to preserve the Traditional Tango style as a valuable cultural object. Idea reinforced by UNESCO'S RECENT SELECTION. But is a cauldron of creation and experimentation as well.

This gives as result many innovations that are taken abroad both by Argentines and visitors.

"using nuevo youcan describe any style of tango."

*** Nuevo is a different style of A. Tango it does not describe Traditional or Milonguero styles for instance, as they are different in embrace, technique,and choreography.

Best regards, Sergio