[Tango-L] No Nuevo (as a style) - according to the Naveiras

Jack Dylan jackdylan007 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 30 23:17:02 EST 2009

> From: Vince Bagusauskas <vytis at hotmail.com>
>
> "Federico: I like all styles, except the "new tango" which doesn't exist for
> me. What was danced in the '40s was more modern than what was danced in the
> '20s, there's always been something newer than what was before."

This is the mantra of Nuevo. This group of young, talented dancers in BsAs
obviously believe they are at the forefront of 'modern tango'. But are they?
Or, despite what Federico says, are they dancing a completely new and
different kind of tango while the previous Tango continues unaffected and,
largely, disinterested.

It seems we now have 2 separate Tangos that cannot assimilate and I don't
think this has happened before. But my guess is that Nuevo will always need
the tag of 'tango' to attract an audience?

Jack