[Tango-L] Ghandi and the cabaceo

Deb Sclar debsclar at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 25 14:57:52 EST 2009

Happy T-day, everyone!

First of all, I think Megan & Tom added nicely to the discussion (gracias, chicos).

In my experience (both leading & following), the cabeceo is VERY useful & furthermore enjoys a very robust & vital life even though not everyone uses it.

The conclusion Valerie draws: "Everyone needs to be using it" more or less exclusively or it doesn't work/exist is like saying "everyone must speak English or we can't communicate." It's like stating "everything is easier in Argentina." (lol!) I mean no disrespect...I adore Argentina.

But to my point...it's very true that turning down a verbal invitation can be challenging, but let's face it...rejecting a dance (via cabeceo or whatever) isn't easy, no matter WHAT or who or when. It sounds to me, Valerie, that you are like me in your preference to handle all invites with courtesy & respect (at the very least, to be polite), ESPECIALLY the invites you turn down. This is a noble pursuit for those of us spending a lot of our time dancing tango. If an Invitee chooses to respond negatively to a rejection (hates you!? vamos!!!), that's THEIR lesson to learn. Just as the Invited who chooses to be rude in their rejecting, has THEIR lessons, no?

But look around you...the cabeceo is alive & well & used constantly...on & off the dance floor, precisely because it's so wonderfully universal & effective. Think about how people signal for taxis or waiters or or or. In the USA, in Europe & in BsAs, I have found that dancers use a universal language of gesturing that includes the cabeceo but is by no means limited to that. There are in fact unlimited variations (many incredibly charming ones) to match the individual, the mood, the situation, etc.

I prefer the cabeceo myself, especially with strangers, but there are instances (when I'm with friends, for example, or at a poorly lit milonga) when a verbal invitation is natural & appropriate. Another example - it's very common to be invited verbally when leaders who want to share a tanda with me, know I'm with my regular partner. They ask verbally...my partner first, then me. This courtesy is practiced regularly among experienced dancers everywhere I've been privileged to dance. Another example: the verbal agreement to share a tanda IN ADVANCE of a given milonga. Very common indeed. I'm sure we can all think of many more examples.

So keep your options & your minds open, be creative & have FUN!

Adios,

Deb Sclar
www.danceoftheheart.com