[Tango-L] Chicho interview - "Violent Milonguero" vs. "nice close embrace": what to do?

Sandhill Crane grus.canadensis at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 25 11:31:11 EST 2009

--- On Tue, 11/24/09, Brian Dunn <brianpdunn at earthlink.net> wrote:

> According to the interview, Chicho is drawing a distinction
> between "antique tango" as a "violently marked" tango,
> as opposed to "today's" tango, whose dancers are "able to
> dance without barely touching one another".

Hmm, yes, good point. I wonder when and why the transition
occurred. A great question for the dance historians among us.

I remember now that a teacher at a workshop speculated that
di Sarli's refined style was made possible in part by a
technological advance: floors were smoother, therefore the
dance was smoother, and di Sarli sensed that.

> the possibility that it is not just the so-called
> "nuevo" teachers who may be failing to pass on something
> essential about tango to the "students who comprise their
> school of dance, broadly speaking"

I'm sure there are, but I think we'll all agree that the
"violent" style just isn't cool. In contrast, one can be
accomplished with tango nuevo and still miss the boat in
some ways. Which brings us back to Chicho and other
influential teachers; what, exactly, is important to them?