[Tango-L] candombe lost ??it was Interview: Chicho on tango nuevo

Alberto Gesualdi clambat2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Fri Nov 20 13:45:06 EST 2009

as far as I have been listening, the only tango electronico  music with some kind of drums like candombe uses , is " mi buenos querido" from CD Narcotango from Libedinsky.

I dont know why Don Klein  says "bring back"and "lost" for candombe. This dance is alive and kicking in uruguay, and each year the neighbourhoods of Montevideo make their "llamadas" as usual.

Llamadas  are beating of drums that each neighbourhood has to call his musicians and dancers , each one is different.

Here in Buenos Aires, at San Telmo neighbourhood, is also a smaller "llamada" each year, since , is true, in Buenos Aires, candombe music and dance is not so widely practiced.

Uruguay country, promotes their candombe music and dance as a cultural heritage, and many today musicians as Ruben Rada, Yabor,Hugo Fatorusso, Cuareim group,  the comparsa/carnical parade Falta y Resto, use this music , that definetely, is not lost.

check at
http://www.candombe.com/english.html

for actual over the counter information ....

alberto
buenos aires