[Tango-L] A. Tango And Smooth Ballroom: Help Or Hinderance

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Sun Nov 15 13:18:28 EST 2009

Bob:
Dancing Argentine Tango greatly improved my ballroom. Because of close
embrace, there's no room for error. If I can't lead the woman to step first,
there's going to be a collision. In ballroom, the man is off center from the
woman. He can move his left foot forward without fear of stepping on the
woman's foot. However, it's a terrible lead for the man to move before the
woman.

Ballroom has prescribed steps and rhythms. Argentine doesn't have prescribed
steps and rhythms and forces the man to pay more attention to the woman,
e.g. knowing which foot she is standing. In ballroom, couples are on
parallel feet virtually all the time so there's less need for the man to
know which foot the woman is standing.

Michael
I danced Argentine Tango --with the Argentines