[Tango-L] Tanguera/o occupation?

Tango22 tango22 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 20:42:51 EST 2009

> Aron said,

> I don't think this performance is so bad, it is just not the tango you
> know. Also, this is a group choreography....... . formation dancing
> such as this.
> The choreograper did not try to put much fantasy into this dance,
> but it
> is technically well executed.

Yes and no Aron, New Vogue is a peculiarly Australian competitive
genre of dance that emerged out of what was termed "old time" dancing,
some time after the '60's.  It was always danced in set rounds and was
often progressive (ie., the ladies moved on to a new partner after a
few bars).  Not unlike the European mazurkas, polkas etc.    The
choreography for each named dance (eg., Tango Terrific) is established
by competition rules, in advance.  The young couples you see here are
competing as individuals, not dancing in a choreographed formation.

I agree with your comments.  It is an elegant and musical form of
dance.  I am not so arrogant as to laugh at any skillfully performed
dance, even if it is not what I do.

An example sample of 5 New Vogue dances, including Tango Terrific.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ewkPdxmiJc

Oh, and here it is in the traditional social context.  Note the band.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xukc_xGGDcI

By the way, our Tango scene has a complete cross section of
professional and socio-economic groups.  it is not at all elitist.  I
sense that has more to do with the place than the Tango.

Excuse me for getting a bit off-topic
Best wishes,
John