[Tango-L] Changes by Immigration Authorities with respect to the granting of P & O Visas

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Mon Nov 9 14:38:07 EST 2009

I wrote to a friend at USCIS to get a explanation for the rule change. Below
is the answer:

"But it should not affect teachers as they are not supposed to be using that
visa category anyway. The O and P visa for artists is only for performance
and support of performers, not the kind of instruction he seems to be
referring to."

It seems the rule applies to tango shows, not teaching at
festivals. Regardless of the rule, foreigners who work in the US still need
a I-765 work permit. I remember one festival reporting that their star
teacher wasn't admitted into the country and sent packing on the next
available flight.

If Immigration catches a tango instructor without a work permit, they can be
deported immediately.
Michael Ditkoff
Washington, DC
I'd danced Argentine Tango- - with the Argentines