[Tango-L] Tanguera/o occupation?

Ecsedy Áron aron at milonga.hu
Mon Nov 9 07:50:42 EST 2009

I run a dancestudio for several years now with many styles of dancing
(social and stage), but about 99% of the clientele are white collar
workers, many with more than one university degree, well over 50%
engineers, IT types, or in real science (this is a well known phenomenon
among teachers as well). In a country where 20% claims to speak any
other foreign language at some level, well over 80% of the dancer types
speak English at conversation level.

My theory: the more educated you are, the more open you are to
non-current stuff. Couple dancing and most dances at a danceschool are
not part of the current popular culture. People with less education are
usually too wound up in current things, currently popular ways of
spending their free time, that in the Western world they don't end up
learning tango. There are some areas where you can see that current and
older things bleed into eachother (like salsa), there the clientele is
also more varied, but in a place like Hungary where there is no latino
population at all, the 'lower class' (as they are usually handled) will
abandon most genres as they feel that this is not their social element.
Obviously, at places where there is an indigenious population where
(couple) dancing is part of their culture, it is more likely to have
different echelons side-by-side, or at least having their own parties.
In case of tango, I can only imagine this in South America (which
observation tends to support). Nevertheless, some great artists or
teachers may have a 'low social status' background and be successful
nevertheless (we have a several times champion international latin who
is a painter (apartments), or a world class modern jazzballet dancer and
choreographer who started out as a taxi driver, one of the best swing
dancers and also swing DJs in Hungary is a plumber, a well known
professional - stage - tango dancer is an active tram driver).

Cheers,
Aron

--
Aron Ecsedy <http://en-gb.facebook.com/tangodevla> | Create your badge