[Tango-L] How many figures do you need?

Gary garybarn at ozemail.com.au
Tue May 19 09:27:38 EDT 2009

I was struck by this observation:

> When I decide to lead at a milonga, I'm always thinking "what else
> can I do?"

I don't get this feeling often, but its a killer when it happens.
(BTW, I'm almost certain that the writer knows a lot more 'stuff'
than me.)

I've realised that I only have this feeling at a milonga when either:

1) I'm not connecting well with my partner (especially those who like
to add lots of noise to the dance, but also just when I'm having a
bad dance day, or shouldn't have accepted the dance); or
2) I don't like the music at all for dancing tango (eg against my
better judgement, I've said yes to a doof-doof); or
3) I'm intimidated (eg sometimes dancing with someone much better
than me).

I don't know much in the way of figures. And I have wonderful dances
often enough to make life worthwhile.

But it seems that, when I'm cornered, my brain still resorts to "must
do more stuff".

Maybe its hardwired.

(Your mileage will of course vary.)

GB