[Tango-L] There are no side steps

Jack Dylan jackdylan007 at yahoo.com
Mon May 18 13:52:22 EDT 2009

> From: "Nussbaum, Martin" mnussbau at law.nyc.gov

> There are only three steps in tango.  Forward cross, back cross, and
> open steps.    ....  I will tell you another secret, that
> proves my above statement - every single step in tango is part of a
> giro, either clockwise or counterclockwise.>

Actually, your second statement doesn't 'prove' your first statement
because you're simply repeating yourself. If there are only 3 steps in
tango - forward cross, back cross, and open step then, obviously every
step in tango is part of a Giro because a Giro is made up of only those
3 steps.

But, suppose we're walking directly in-line in parallel feet - are the lady's
backward steps back crosses or open steps - and which is which and why?

Jack