[Tango-L] Lots of questions

Steve Littler sl at stevelittler.com
Wed May 13 13:05:31 EDT 2009

Ming Mar wrote:
> Pat Petronio writes:
>
>> As a woman in tango, the feeling of being transported in
>> the dance is absolutely the result of quality of movement,
>> and my partner's connection with me & the music
>>

> What is good quality movement?  What is bad quality
> movement?  How can you tell if your own movement is high
> quality or low?  Can people be trained to do this?  If so,
> how do you train people to do high quality movement?

Yes. Dance with your teacher or an intermediate partner in a private
lesson, practice or practica environment and get immediate feedback on
what you are doing and you can be trained. It can be discouraging at
first, but the rewards are worth it.
> What is connection with someone?  What is the difference
> between good connection and bad connection?  How can you
> tell if you're giving good connection?  Can people be
> trained to do this?  If so, how do you train people to do
> good connection?

Connection starts with good posture, a mutual warm embrace,  and feels
good and comfortable to both partners. Poor posture breaks the
connection (standing vertical or back on heels, not forward like you
should.) Holding the partner too tight, lifting partner up (except on
certain steps that require it), dropping your weight on your partner
break connection. Bad basic technique breaks connection. Good technique
enhances it.

And as Sergio said, there is the Spiritual aspect. Where the lady
surrenders to you. She does this when she trusts you and she can tell by
your embrace, certainty, confidence and respect that you will take care
of her on the dance floor and she will be safe in your arms. You can
feel the surrender when she relaxes in your arms and responds to your
signals/lead/mark. My first care for the lady is that I protect her,
that she will not get bumped or stepped on in a crowded dance floor
(because she is dancing backwards in heels with her eyes closed.) She
will sense that. Then I care for connection and musicality. Then with
all that buzzing in my head, I have to detach from the mental noise,
relax and enjoy the dance myself. Then we are really connected and
dancing together as one.
> What is connection with music?  What is the difference
> between good connection and ban connection or no
> connection?  Can people be trained to do this?  If so, how
> do you train people to do good connection with the music?

Get into a musicality class or workshop. Typically in the classes I've
been in, we listen to the music (Tango has a 4 beat measure) and then
the teacher has us practice stepping on the 1, or the 1 & 3, or 1-2-3.
Then we practice pausing at certain points, either at the end of a
phrase, at slow points, random points. Drills like this train you to
feel the music. And if you don't speak Spanish, finding translations of
the songs titles and words helps deepen your understanding of the song
and adds extra feeling and dimension to your dance. (

I've had troubles finding translations of many songs. Maybe someone else
can post a comprehensive list of translations at some point.)

El Stevito de Gainesville