[Tango-L] How many figures...

Melina Sedo & Detlef Engel tango at tangodesalon.de
Mon May 11 12:27:02 EDT 2009

Hi Joe and all!

> Indeed! No figures. Period. (begs the question, what is a figure, but
> good rule)
>> You can be an excellent dancer, if you just walk forward - provided
>> you do it musically, connected to the partner with a nice embrace.
>
> But... do you really just walk "forward"? And, not turning whatsoever?

Yep. I mean that. Someone can be a good dancer with a very limited
repertoire, but, as I said:

"If you are furthermore able to communicate a shift of weight in place,
a sidestep and a backstep, this is even better!
If you are even capable of communicationg a pivot and of
distinguishing between the parallel and the crossed system this is a
big plus."

So take the Pivot and maybe the mangement between parallel/crossed
system and you can improvise any possible turn out of the elements
(steps & privots). You still don't need a "figure" (pre-defined step).

;-)

Good day,

Melina