[Tango-L] How many figures do you need?

Melina Sedo & Detlef Engel tango at tangodesalon.de
Sun May 10 13:18:14 EDT 2009

How many figures do you need to be a good dancer?

In my opinion? NOT ONE STEP!

You can be an excellent dancer, if you just walk forward - provided
you do it musically, connected to the partner with a nice embrace.

If you are furthermore able to communicate a shift of weight in place,
a sidestep and a backstep, this is even better!
If you are even capable of communicationg a pivot and of
distinguishing between the parallel and the crossed system this is a
big plus.

But you don't need it to be a good dancer. It just gives you a bigger
repertoire.

I've danced with a lot of good dancers, who have a quite limited
repertoire and with even more bad dancers with a huge repertoire! Some
may find that boring, but I'm searching for the quality within a
single movement.

But just now, I prefer to not dance at all, but to rest my feet after
three days of teaching in Oslo. ;-)

Have a nice day,

Melina

MELINA SEDO & DETLEF ENGEL