[Tango-L] Way too much kicking

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 25 15:31:33 EDT 2009

--- On Wed, 3/25/09, Tango Society of Central Illinois <tango.society at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mario has a point. Paula may adapt her dance to floor conditions, but what are the women observers learning from the demonstration? Are they
> thinking 'This is an exhibition. I would never do this on a social
> dance floor.' Or are they thinking 'This kicking is so cool. I wish I
> could do that', and they won't have the opportunity to give an
> exhibition defined as such so instead they will do their exhibition on
> the social dance floor.

I'm sure that not every woman there was an idiot.  I'm sure there were women watching who do when the appropriate time is to some high kicks.  There may be some people, too, that won't know what the appropriate time is.  But I don't see the point of withholding this type of information.  Unless, of course, you never want a woman to learn to be expressive, learn new ways of controlling her body, or perhaps learn to hear the music differently.

And if a woman does kick too much on the social dance floor, IT'S THE MAN'S FAULT FOR LEADING VOCABULARY THAT ALLOWS HER TO DO THAT.

Don't be so quick to negatively judge a woman's ornaments when you have no idea the work a woman has to do in order to execute an ornament well.  If Paula has inspired someone to work on their movements to try to execute the ornaments she's showing, then good for her!

Trini de Pittsburgh