[Tango-L] How do you decide who to dance with?

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 20 18:15:48 EDT 2009

--- On Fri, 3/20/09, larrynla at juno.com <larrynla at juno.com> wrote:

> So.  How do you decide who to dance with?

At local milongas, it depends primarily on the music for me.  Since beginners arrive earlier to milongas than experienced dancers, it's common for music earlier in the milonga to be simpler to warm up the crowd.  As more people arrive, the rhythm gets faster.  Later in the evening there is usually a period of slow and intense music and/or alternative.  That pace determines my evening.

My first and last partner is always my husband.  For the simple music in the milonga, I'll dance with the beginners or intermediates (usually my students at a local milonga).  But I try to save my favorite partners for later in the milonga so that I can go home with a smile.  That also happens to be the time that the most interesting music gets played - Biagi, Pugliese, Troilo, alternative.  I'm not the type that wants to dance every single tanda, either.

At festivals, I'll dance with my friends whenever I get the chance.  In other cities, I'm also more flexible.

Trini de Pittsburgh