[Tango-L] The Do's and Don'ts of Inviting and Accepting

Vince Bagusauskas vytis at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 27 19:26:32 EDT 2009

> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 16:53:36 -0500
> From: Joe Grohens <joe.grohens at gmail.com>
> Subject: [Tango-L]  The Do's and Don'ts of Inviting and Accepting
> To: tango-l at mit.edu
> Cc: Joe Grohens <joe.grohens at gmail.com>
>

                >I don't know if I would make it "required reading for
newbies". Some
                newbies can take a document like this as a set of absolute
rules, and
                obey them whether they make sense or not.

As Ney said: if it were "somewhat adhered to" it would make life a little
better.  Not surprisingly, several dancers have thanked my acquaintance for
posting that link.

People new to Tango (or even those who are proficient at it) won't be
necessarily be reading Tango L.  And they won't read about the do and dents
here in an easily digested form, from all of the numerous threads on the
subject.  How many schools actually hand out a "instructions" on how to
behave at a milonga?  Certainly the schools I have been to, do not.  One
tango club I went to did have some etiquette rules (a "Surviving Tango
 Guide") that were given to people only when they joined.  Schools could do
no worse by referring students to Ney or tweak them to suit their local
circumstances.

           >I think it's gauche to take your shoes off as a signal that you
don't
           want to dance. But I suppose that's just me.
I have seen it used.

          >What are the best and worst rejection lines you have ever heard
  As you said:
"I'm resting" excuse, and then dances a few seconds later with somebody
else.