[Tango-L] Rules on negative postings (WAS Geraldine and Ezequiel)

Tango-L and Tango-A Administrator tango-L-owner at MIT.EDU
Tue Jun 16 16:32:35 EDT 2009

> Ok, given the clear posting of the relevant rules, I will be more
> specific about my experience of Geraldin Rojas & Ezequiel Paludi's
> workshops at the Aus International Tango Fest.

[rest of post deleted]

Well, there was certainly more than sufficient disclosure in this post
for the Tango-L rules. Since there has been so much discussion about it
(and now a blog that uses the same rules), let me copy the entire text
of that rule here, rather than just paraphrase as I did before. Note
that this allowance for negative reviews is identified in the rules as
an "exception": the exception being to a more general rule against
rants, complaints, flames, etc. (especially if that's all that the post
contains), which rarely if ever add anything positive to a discussion. A
sincere, unbiased and objective critical review that does not have some
ulterior motive indeed can provide a useful service.

---------------------------------

NEGATIVE REVIEWS PERMITTED (WITH STRICT REQUIREMENTS)

Negative reviews of a particular teacher or event are permitted as a
potential service to the Tango community, even if individuals are named.
However, to prevent abuse of this exception as a way for people to
campaign negatively against people they don't like, or their
competitors, these reviews must meet ALL the following criteria: The
purpose of this clarification to the rules is NOT to encourage
negativism or criticism (there is enough of that already on Tango-L),
but to clarify the requirements for those legitimately wishing to
provide a negative review as a public service.

+ The full name and Tango community (city or metropolitan region) of the
poster must be identified. The intent of this requirement is to avoid
anonymous postings or postings under unverifiable pseudonyms. There
should be enough identification information that people from that
community can verify the identity of the poster. (While there may be a
legitimate argument for anonymous negative reviews, its potential for
abuse is too great and so it is not permitted.)

+ The person or event being reviewed must be a public figure or event in
Tango, i.e., one that advertises or is advertised or otherwise promoted,
even if on a limited scale.

+ The poster should not be a competitor of the person about whom he or
she wishes to post the negative review, or affiliated with a competitor
or acting on behalf of a competitor (i.e., there should be no conflict
of interest or ulterior motive).

+ The poster should have had direct and personal experience of the
teacher or event in question (i.e., not just based on hearsay).

+ Specific details must be included to back up the negative opinion. The
focus needs to be on objective items (even if it has a subjective
component), and not on entirely subjective opinions.
E.g.,
"The organizer is a jerk." Not acceptable (even if it is true).
"I felt cheated because half the teachers advertised for the festival
were not present and no refunds or other compensation was offered."
Acceptable.

+ The above rules apply even if the teacher is not identified by name if
it's clear that the negative comments apply to an identifiable person or
group. The following (similar to a real example posted on Tango-L by a
teacher with an obvious conflict of interest) would not be permitted:
"There's another couple in our community that have taught for years, but
they've yet to produced a single successful student by themselves."

Tango-L and Tango-A administrator
tango-L-owner at mit.edu