[Tango-L] Ball or Heel?

Steve Littler sl at stevelittler.com
Wed Jun 3 12:26:10 EDT 2009

Dear Jack,

Yes, in the last month I experimented with the ball lead for two weeks
and got the same bad pains in the arch, heel, ankle, calf, knee. (It was
then further exacerbated by a bump to the knee by a theater seat. An
Activator doctor helped with some treatment http://www.activator.com/ )

After consultation with my doctor and several walking gurus now I am
back to the heel lead as a forward step default and doing much better.
Of course on diagonal, side and back steps I go ball lead as a default.

I do know a ball stepper but he does mostly side, diagonal and back
steps, but in my mind is problematic to navigate in social dancing by
causing problems crossing lanes on crowded floors.

My teacher says ball lead is more pertinent to long smooth steps in
stage Tango, not social dancing, where the heel lead would be the
default.The only difference in the two leads is that the foot flexes
naturally at the last second just before placing the heel down.

Any videos with Jorge Dispari (Geraldine's father) and many other great
dancers show this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAuh5ImWJmQ : that
little flex just before landing.

El Stevito de Gainesville