[Tango-L] What Do You Think?

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 31 17:45:32 EDT 2009

--- On Thu, 7/30/09, Jack Dylan <jackdylan007 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > From: Trini y Sean (PATangoS) <patangos at yahoo.com>
> >
> >  Why should nuevo extremists feel a strong need
> > to still keep the ties to milonguero or salon tango?
>

> I don't want to be cynical, but I'm guessing the answer is
> MONEY.

I suspect that it's not money.  Still it really doesn't make any sense to insist that extreme nuevo is Argentine Tango when the purported intention is to let everyone do his/her artistic interpretation.  I suspect that in their heart of hearts, extremists really do have this idea of what tango is/should be but they aren't willing to look at what they are doing and question whether it really fits this idea of tango.  They have certainly not defined what bounds they wouldn't cross.

I mean, if extremists insist that what they do is Argentine tango and not something else, then they are automatically putting bounds on themselves, right?  Wouldn't that then go against the stated belief that, basically, "anything goes"?  Can't have your cake and eat it, too.

This thread reminds of when Reagan kept insisting that he never authorized trading arms for hostages.  Eventually, he realized that though his intention was not to trade arms for hostages, that is essentially what happened.

Trini de Pittsburgh