[Tango-L] What Do You Think?

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 29 11:57:52 EDT 2009

--- On Wed, 7/29/09, Jack Dylan <jackdylan007 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > From: June es esjune at hotmail.com
>
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV8P_4F80pw
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WJc-2KKpNY&feature=related

> Thanks June, I've never seen these videos before. This
> couple is from Finland, which probably explains why they were able to incorporate tango elements in their dance before any other ballroom couple - at least, as far as I know.

The first video was particularly interesting with a portion clearly dedicated to tango.  And it was obviously tango.  If they had incorporated some of Sebastian's & Mariana's moves, instead, I bet folks would say "nice rumba moves" instead of saying "nice tango section".

In response to Damian's comment that S & M's performance was different from milonguero and close-embrace, I'd add that it is also far different from salon, as well.  When tango is taken to such an extreme, then why not just say "I have evolved a new dance form that derives from Argentine tango and I'm calling it Tango Nuevo.  Anything goes."  And I suspect that if Chicho or Sebastian or someone else would declare something like that, all the other nuevo wannabees would nod their heads and follow suite.  In fact, they would then have more freedom in interpreting this new form in anyway they want.  Traditionalists would then say, "Okay, have fun developing your new form to your hearts content.  Knock yourself out."  Why should nuevo extremists feel a strong need to still keep the ties to milonguero or salon tango?

If one wants to evolve, there's nothing wrong with evolving into a new dance form.  With the current debate, it's almost as if the nuevo dancers are ashamed of their developments.  Why always be on the defensive?  If you want to evolve, then cut the apron strings and evolve.

Trini de Pittsburgh