[Tango-L] [ElTango] Tango Classes with Exotic Names: Promise or Pretension?

Huck Kennedy tempehuck at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 21:49:19 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 11:30 AM, Ilene Marder<imhmedia at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Judith Prister wrote:
>
> > Pretension.  It is a marketing ploy to attract interest when the
> > teachers have nothing substantial to offer.
>
> I recently took a
> class by Daniela called Lovers Embrace and it was the best class I had EVER
> attended on the details of embrace....everyone wanted more and all we did
> was focus on embrace. If I had been of a more cynical mind I would have
> missed one of the most dynamic  & important classes I've been to yet.

     I tend to lean more towards Judith's side here in that the more
pretentious the title, the more suspicious I am that the class is just
a bunch of bs.  If I knew nothing of the instructor and was
approaching the class blind, I would not be very inclined to attend a
class called "Lover's Embrace."  I'd be far more inclined to attend
the exact same class were it labelled something more objective and
factual, such as, "Detailed Particulars of the Tango Close Embrace."

Huck