[Tango-L] dark milongas

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Tue Feb 24 22:59:46 EST 2009

I think the dark milongas comes from ballroom where ambiance is so
important. I don't like dark ballrooms nor milongas. I used cabeceo a lot
the first year I went to the Atlanta tango festival. It didn't work because
it was too dark so I didn't dance a lot. The following year the organizers
had a session on milonga etiquette where cabeceo was discussed. A lot of the
women just looked forward into the dance floor and not around when not
dancing. Nevermind the custom, I had to get into their range of vision
otherwise I wasn't going to dance. As flight attendants say before take off
"The closest exit may be behind you." The same thing applies to milongas.
The closest partner may be behind you but few look.

For cabeceo to work, milongas have to be well lite and has to be practiced
by 80% of the attendees or it doesn't work. I'll start using cabeceo  as
Plan A. If it doesn't work because of insufficient light or the women aren't
using it, I'll go to Plan B (the ballroom "direct" approach). Plan C is to
bring a flare gun.

The bottom line is "it takes two to tango." Asking for and accepting a tanda
is only going to work with active effort on both genders. I don't like
interrupting a conversation for a dance. Maybe the women would rather talk
than dance.

4 weeks to the Atlanta Tango Festival and two weeks after that to BA (where
I have to use cabeceo) and the milongas are fully illuminated, I've been
told.

Michael
Washington, DC