[Tango-L] Shocked

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Mon Feb 23 10:23:11 EST 2009

This discussion reminds me of dancing with milongueros in
1997-1998,  I do not recall even one time when a man had corrected me
at a milonga, and I had danced only aout 2-3 years then and was a
rank beginner.  What they did instead was magic - they lead a step
again and again, until I got it and learned what I needed to
do.  There was grace and infinite value in that because they gave me
knowledge of the dance without using any words.  And they did not
break the magic of the moment.

To me, there is some distasteful banality to all words, in any
language that I understand.  Even poetry can't compare with music and
dance.  Only languages that I do not understand have some
music.  Maybe the question that each person should ask, when an idea
pops into his/her head to correct someone during a dance, is whether
he/she wants to be right or to be happy.  Do we value perfection over
a feeling?

In all human interactions, and in tango in this case, it might be
useful to do a quick cost/benefit analysis in any
situation.  Impulsivity carries a very high cost.

All the best,

Nina