[Tango-L] improving discussion in our forum -- sugestions

Amaury de Siqueira amaurycdsf at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 11 11:18:52 EST 2009

I probably should just mind my own business and do as I have said before in other postings.... work instead of reading tango related messages.  However I see an opportunity here to help future online interactions.

The problem with text only computer mediated communication (mostly text-based applications such as chat, BBS and email) is that the medium is in itself very 'lean'.  By lean I mean we do not have other nuances such as visual and aural cues for us to interpret what someone is 'saying'.

In such situations humans (showing remarkable adaptability) created strategies for coping with the lack of minimal cues.  Such strategies include the use of emoticons  :-) ... :-( .... ;-/ ; acronyms (LOL, IMHO, LOLAR) ; and certain writing strategies to minimize potential for misunderstandings.

Having said that... we can also really complicate communication in lean text-based communication .  Here are some approaches that do not lend themselves to constructive communication...

The use of absolute statements is not very helpful and sometimes alienating.  For example Myk writes -->
"... must have _some_ difference";
" ...You cannot lead an underarm...";
"... All leading comes from the chest..."; and etc

(I could go on extracting more text from the message... but this must suffice.

Another helpful hint for successful communication is to avoid complex constructs of ideas... for example our dear Chicho simply stated "not arms... just connection"... that should be enough.  I mean I don’t know you guys but I have the sense that our audience has shown over the years a certain amount of fluency and intelligence.  So there is no reason to offend the audience by repeating oneself an restating the obvious.

Finally, we should all know that the real experts seldom if ever post to the list... What I mean is that we are all AMATEURS... So we should show some humility and tone down our language and thoughts of intellectual and dance grandeur.

Following these simple rules could help improve the quality of our discussions.

Amaury