[Tango-L] Smooth Tango :: Two tone wingtips do not a leader make

Joe Grohens joe.grohens at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 18:28:56 EST 2009

Alex quotes Richard who says:

> Alex - One of the things that continues to astonish me is that many
> beginning dancers -- and for all I know many experienced dancers --
> think that if you are holding your partner close to you, then you
> are dancing close embrace. In fact,

> in salon tango you are pressed against your partner until you need
> to do a figure (front ochos spring to mind) where the embrace needs
> to breathe.

> Close embrace itself doesn't open up, uses a subset of the figures
> of salon tango, and is danced at a slightly different tempo than
> salon tango.

When I read authoritative-sounding definitions like this I wonder
where they came from. Not from Argentina, I suspect.

And it reminds me that Daniel Trenner will give a lecture in a few
days at Valentango on the "History & Development of Tango in the U.S."

I really wish I could go. (I really hope his talk will be published.)

I would like to ask Daniel where the term "Close Embrace Tango" came
from, and who defined it, and what it originally meant.

I am not disputing the definition given by Richard, but just wondering
where this term came from.