[Tango-L] Smooth Tango :: Two tone wingtips do not a leader make

Tango22 tango22 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 23:31:46 EST 2009

Richard,
Since when can't you execute a front ocho in a tango embrace?  I agree
that open-embrace adopts an expanded set of (usually rote-learned)
figures comprising a number of steps, mostly adaptations of
performance or demonstration (no judgement intended here).  Close-
embrace is not based on figures at all, but technique, from which
figures are created as you dance, responding to the music, your
partner and the other dancers; perhaps never to be repeated.  Would
you kindly explain what you mean by "dancing to a different tempo".  I
would have thought that the music always dictates the tempo / rhythm /
feel of every dance.
John