[Tango-L] Pity the poor Milonguru

larrynla@juno.com larrynla at juno.com
Thu Feb 5 18:02:47 EST 2009

A while back I chatted with a frequent partner at a milonga.  She had
just gotten back from her second trip to Buenos Aires and she was
disillusioned.  "Milongueros are just fat little old greasy men who
want to grab my ass!"

Being Very Very Wise I refrained from saying I thought her ass was a
fine example of natural art and that I would love to grab it too.  Come
to think of it, the rest of her is quite lovely.  Maybe that was the
source of her disillusion.  I've heard that milongueros go from senior
statesmen to old goats very fast in the presence of a beautiful woman.
After all, they're only human.

The "only human" theme came up again just a couple of weeks ago on the
phone while talking to an occasional tango partner.  She had spent the
entire summer in Buenos Aires and thought that a great time to go
there.  It is their winter, but BsAs winters are not unpleasant,
especially when you spend a lot of time in milongas which never use air
conditioning.

"After a few weeks they got to know me and I started getting to dance
with dancers who friends there told me were some of the top
milongueros," she said or something close to that.  "Their dancing was
so smooth and their leads so great I didn't have to worry about getting
bumped or guessing what he wanted me to do and they really knew the
music."

But eventually, she said, it got boring.  They were a little too good,
a statement that puzzled me and does still.  When I tried to get some
details that would clear up the issue she could not put her finger on
the problem beyond saying she expected more, somehow, from milongueros.

"Were they just a bunch of old guys?" I asked.  No, a few of them were
younger, a couple really good looking, maybe professional dancers.

Could it be that we non-Argentines have so exalted the abilities of
milongurus of both sexes that anything short of magical abilities
will disappoint us?

Larry de Los Angeles
http://ShapechangerTales.com - Immortal Shapechanger series web site
short story "The Forest Demon" added