[Tango-L] Very smooth tango= foxtrot, Klaus

Nussbaum, Martin mnussbau at law.nyc.gov
Wed Feb 4 15:47:24 EST 2009

Klaus, I think you should aim higher than the leader in the clips you
chose.
Musical? Yes.
Smooth? Absolutely.
Connected? ...  maybe, but he might as well have been dancing foxtrot.
His right palm was on the followers left rib in most of the sequences I
viewed, keeping a four-square ballroom type frame.  To me, this is not
tango, it is ballroom, or foxtrot. Don't misunderstand me, I love nuevo
and modern tango styling, but I call this foxtrot tango.   Tango has an
asymmetrical embrace, closer on the right side.  Most of the time he
kept a parallel, symmetrical embrace, and occasionally came in closer on
his right side for certain moves. Tango is the opposite. If you do not
need to open the embrace for a move, your default should be an
asymmetrical embrace, more closed on the leaders right side, closer to
her left side, and more open on the leaders left side.  When you need to
vary it when the move calls for it, open the embrace more to allow for
turns or larger moves.   This gives a more passionate appearance to the
dance, as if the man wants to always return to the woman.
Here is an example of what I am talking about, of an artist who dances
in a modern style, yet also retains the tango feel, embrace, and passion
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlmNhQpex8M