[Tango-L] Bandoneon Scholarship Fund/Tax Deductible Donations

Leopoldo Betrico iwanttotango at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 30 22:06:56 EST 2009

Hello Ben,

I must congratulate you on devising such an ingenious scheme to make money under the guise of charity. It's quite impressive. This is under the assumption that the scholarship donations will go directly to you (as the "teacher" in this case would be youself, right?)

In regards to the tangojam project, I applaud your effort. But it doesn´t seem like any transcriptions were done. All of the available songs seem to be taken from the already available sheet music library from www.todotango.com It seems like just copying & paste the melody from these available sheet music and only adding chord names to the already available piano score. You are just making it easier to read for people who prefer lead sheet forms, it seems, which is fine but if you claim transciption, it would be nice to see some.

I wonder if the donations would go further to an already well progressed project. Ignacio Varchausky has started a tango preservation project through Tangovia www.tangovia.org many years ago. It is well organised and well run and has demonstrated great results. It includes an archive of original tango arrangements (full orchestral, solo bandoneon, etc), a digital audio archive, a complete discography, and much more. Basically, everything you are trying to accomplish. But they are already well on their way, so why reinvent the wheel?

You can read and hear more about Ignacio's effort on Keith Elshaw's website, where there are audio clips of his interviews with Keith. http://www.totango.net/  I'm just wondering if the donations would go further there...

My last comment is in regards to the bandoneon solo archive. Most of the arrangements are the same digital files that were made available by other people. The only difference seems to be that you added your "tangojam" watermark on top of them. Why is the watermark necessary when it was made by other people? And even if you scanned in an arrangement, and it is not your own arrangement, is the watermark necessary? It seems like you're claiming digital property or at least advertisement from other people's work...

Just curious and wanted to raise awareness as well.

Regards,
Leopoldo