[Tango-L] Who to blame for the "bad" dancers?

Vince Bagusauskas vytis at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 30 01:48:22 EST 2009

If it was not for the renaissance of tango and in particular the fantasia
shows and competitions in BsAs, would there be a nuevo tango following
today?

For those who read this list and want to preserve social tango dancing,
maybe as promoters/organizers of festivals/milongas you should decline from
having individual couples putting on demos* thus encouraging them to display
the 'crowd pleasing steps' that are not strictly tango, that the crowd then
feels obliged to learn.

If a demo has to be held, have several couples dance on the floor at once,
thus forcing them to restrain themselves and show a semblance of social
dancing.

But I guess there is no money for promoters in that.

My 2c

*For the record, these days, demos do not excite me as they once did: I tend
to do something else when it is on.

Vince
In Melbourne
Enjoying his break.