[Tango-L] Definition of Nuevo

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 29 10:46:05 EST 2009

If I were to define nuevo, one of the distinguishing characteristics I'd include is the greater amount of training women need compared to classic tango.  It's more athletic and requires more practice, more body awareness.  Women really have to "get the joke" to do alterations, volcadas, colgadas, linear boleos.  Women don't need so much the first time they're exposed to ganchos or boleos in the middle of a milonga.

I know that there are men who will say that they've led an inexperienced woman to do, say, a volcada successfully.  But I'm not talking once or twice.  I'm talking 50 times, a hundred times, a thousand times.  To the average woman, not just the young fit chicas.  And by the average male dancer, not the superstars.

I'm focusing on women because that's what the dance is supposed to focus on, right?  The man leads the dance, but he adjusts a lot for the woman.

Trini de Pittsburgh