[Tango-L] Abusing the available space

Tango22 tango22 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 18:58:46 EST 2009

Shahrukh says:-

There is just -
- SO MUCH bad navigation and inconsiderate dancing going on in
Milongas, with
- SO LITTLE being done about it by the teachers (and perhaps, as
Sandhill posits, the teachers' teachers), and
- SO LITTLE realization by those making the infractions that that's
what they are dong (most are, I am sure, polite and considerate
people, so they are surely not being inconsiderate intentionally)
- SO MUCH emphasis on the teaching of steps, figures and techniques
that consume space, rather than those that conserve space, hence
exacerbating the problem

To be fair, it's not a problem that is begging to be solved in most
communities outside Buenos Aires..............................

In my experience, it is a problem everywhere Sharhrukh.  An enjoyable
evening will quickly turn cold for me when couples are travelling in
the wrong direction,  colliding because they are not looking where
they are going, kicking other couples, dancing inappropriately to the
music (eg., during Poema, couples whizzing past like whirling
dervishes).  It is always a reflection of poor teaching.  Teachers
absolutely MUST take responsibility for teaching responsible behaviour
and etiquette at the social dance.
John