[Tango-L] Abusing the available space

Shahrukh Merchant shahrukh at shahrukhmerchant.com
Sat Dec 26 09:33:44 EST 2009

"Brian Dunn" <brianpdunn at earthlink.net> said:

> Well! Quite a menu of things to reply to...

Hi Brian,

I'm not going to respond to every point in your mail--in most cases,
we're actually in violent agreement. And (returning your "shameless
flattery" :-)), I actually agree with most of what you write, and you do
so so thoroughly and convincingly (and, I might add, with exemplary
courtesy) that I find little if anything to add. I respond at length to
very few posts on Tango-L, and when I do, it's because they are worth
responding to.

> It feels to me like the "sentiment" you "read" has triggered a hot-button
> for you... I confess, I DO feel just a bit "projected upon".

Sorry about that; my projection was not intended to be on what you said,
but how what you said could be interpreted. The hot-button that you have
correctly identified the existence of is the following:

There is just

- SO MUCH bad navigation and inconsiderate dancing going on in Milongas,
with
- SO LITTLE being done about it by the teachers (and perhaps, as
Sandhill posits, the teachers' teachers), and
- SO LITTLE realization by those making the infractions that that's what
they are doing (most are, I am sure, polite and considerate people, so
they are surely not being inconsiderate intentionally)
- SO MUCH emphasis on the teaching of steps, figures and techniques that
consume space, rather than those that conserve space, hence exacerbating
the problem

that I see a statement encouraging "making full use of available space"
(which in the context of your post implies using more of it) as giving
further license to the perpetrators. I know that that's not what was
intended, and that you undoubtedly have the skills to carry that out
yourself in a balanced way (and the courtesy you demonstrate in your
postings I am sure carries over to the dance floor), but it is clear
from actual observation and participating in Milongas that most people
don't.

To be fair, it's not a problem that is begging to be solved in most
communities outside Buenos Aires, which may have a much lower density of
dancers on the floor, though I have certainly been to crowded Milongas
at popular festivals that were just disastrous, navigation-wise.

> ?freely using
> your share of available space without encroaching on anyone else?s space??
> Again, what?s inconsiderate about that?

> When I'm with a dancer like
> that, knowing what's possible with such a partner, sure, I want to fully
> explore with her what's available in my share of the space without
> encroaching on anyone else?s space.  And if that space decreases as the
> Milonga gets more crowded (which did NOT happen in the Canning example I
> described) and the "open middle" disappears, well, the principle still holds
> in the now-smaller space

This is the part that I still have the problem with. One finds what one
looks for. If one is looking for available space, one will find it, but
it is those around you (and I mean "you" in the general sense) who
decide whether their space is being encroached upon. And it is clear
that there is a disconnect there. For example, I would not agree that
when Canning is crowded, it does not change the traffic dynamics in the
middle and that people can continue to do what they want there and be
transparent to those around them. Any resemblance to isolated zones on
the floor when it is sparsely populated breaks down *very* rapidly as it
starts getting crowded. And Canning is the most generous example since
it has a very large floor and it is square (not subject to the
long-and-thin effect that some otherwise large floors have). In Niño
Bien, for example, which has almost as large a floor, but a rectangular
one, I would argue that there is no such "safe" central zone. In the
now-defunct La Nacional (very thin and long floor), the "safe central
zone" would surely have been a rectangle of negative width!

The figures of traditional Tango evolved over decades to adapt to the
crowded conditions of the time. It is not that people then were unaware
of the joys of long or expansive movements in unison with a partner. But
nor would they just have been content shuffling along with the crowd in
a packed Milonga; hence evolved figures that allowed good dancers the
means to really *DANCE* in a compact way in a compact space. They were,
indeed, making full use of the available space (but *without* taking up
more of it--more on that below).

And there is no reason that this set of figures needs to be a static set
and cannot be expanded over time by creative persons--clearly that's how
the current set of figures used in traditional Tango came about. But the
selection and survival criteria (in the Darwinist sense) have now
changed--conservation and sharing of space in Milongas has different
degrees of importance in different parts of the world, marketing of and
exhibitionism in Tango have a different role than they used to (though
arguably they always existed in some form), etc. Some teachers (from
Buenos Aires) feel they have a "survival advantage" marketing and
teaching exhibition figures that turn out to give their confused
students a "survival handicap" when they try to use what they learned
back in Buenos Aires. And secondary markets emerge to to address that
(milonguero-style classes to "fix" the problem, "open-minded" milongas
to embrace the diversity, etc.). And so the world turns.

"Making full use of the available X" in English can mean, ironically, a
high consumption or a low consumption (of resource X). When there is a
resource abundance, by all means use the expansive high-consumption
definition ("use as much as you want"), but when there is a resource
shortage, as in space in a crowded milonga, it is the conservative
("make the most out of what you have") definition that needs to rule.
Unfortunately, human nature being what it is (or perhaps Darwinism being
what it is), under conditions of a resource shortage, it is all too
common to see a third behaviour emerge, often unwittingly: "Grab as much
as you can before the others take it all.".

I'm all for artistic and personal expression and exploration, and
pushing the envelope--there would be no progress without that. But a
milonga is, by definition, a social setting, and social considerations,
that will often be at odds with personal expression, need to be taken
into account.

Shahrukh