[Tango-L] There is style and there is style

newtonr@mscd.edu newtonr at mscd.edu
Wed Dec 23 14:53:30 EST 2009

The following except is from an October 16, 2008 article, by Philip
Hersh, of the LA Times, lamenting the retirement of two prominent
figure skaters (Buttle and Lambiel).  The controversy involves the
change in judging criteria, emphasizing athleticism over artistic
expression.  As one reads this, we may just as easily substitute the
word, tango, for the word, skating.

“Adding all the rococo ornaments to skating does not give it style, the
sort of grace and purity of line Buttle and Lambiel embodied at their
best.  It does what the poet Alexander Pope pilloried 300 years ago in
these lines from “An Essay on Criticism:”

Such labour'd nothings, in so strange a style,
Amaze th'unlearned, and make the learned smile”

The style of tango we dance may be venerated or disdained by the style
of expression we infuse into it.  You control your style.  A focus on
clean technique, courtesy and consideration for your partner and the
other couples, compliance to codas of the venue, feeling for the music,
all display respect for the heritage and traditions of Argentine
tango.  At that moment we recognized tango as a fulfilling part of our
existence, we received a living gift, and with that a responsibility to
nurture.  But for each of us it is our choice of how.

The flavor of the classics of literature remain alive to each
generation, unchanged in printed form.  In classical dance we have
ballet masters who pass on their repertoire as their ballet masters, of
a generation before, pass on to them.  For Argentine tango, I’d like to
preserve something more fundamental, a sort of timeless essence, if you
will, which cannot be captured on YouTube.

Abrazos,
Ricardo